Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Things are still going well. I have started teaching, it is very fun and frustrating at the same time. Some of the classes are as large as 54 students, they are awesome but they love to talk. Last Thursday my friend Tam came to visit from Pandaan (about an hour away from me), and we went to breakfast with the consular general from Surabaya, so that was pretty cool. She also came to school with me. We got my one class playing the guitar and singing us some Indonesian pop songs! Tam got it on video, I will try to get that up soon. On Friday my friend Amanda came down from Probolinggo and joined us, so it was a nice not so lonely weekend.

On Friday night I took the two of them to meet the head of my neighborhood and we had to go copy their passports for him (strange I know). On the way to copy the passports, Tam and Amanda kind of screamed and started running, so I did too. There was a crazy monkey on a chain growling at us and really seemed to want to take a bite. I had been thinking about getting a pet monkey, now i no longer want one.

On Sunday morning my neighborhood had its Independence Day celebration (they celebrate for like a month here, no joke). It started around 6am, so I let Amanda and Tam sleep and ventured out there myself. I did a pretty good job blending in for a while, until the two DJs on stage saw me and made me come up. They tried to get me to sing a song, but I told them I was "malu" (shy) so I got away with only saying Dirgahayu Indonesia, enampuluh dua, Happy 62nd Bday Indonesia.

I have been practicing riding a motorbike, but am still too scared to drive on the real road :). Thats all for now.

No comments: