Friday, August 17, 2007

Singosari/Malang

I promised pics of the volcano (tangkoban perahu) and the hot springs (Ciater):


a lot has happened in the past week or so. The rest of orientation was good, everyone became good friends, so when orientation was over we we head out to dinner, go shopping or go out (yes there are places to go out in inodnesia).

(me, catherine, and samson in the background)


I would love to put up pics but my brilliant self has misplaced (aka lost) the cord that connects my camera to the computer. hopefully I will find that soon.

SO I moved. I am now in Singosari, it is right next to Malang. We flew here on Wednesday (Jen, Tam, and I had the same flight--thank goodness). The airport was hell (sorry for the language but there is no better adjective for it). First of all, it is only supposed to take 2 hours to get from Bandung to Jakarta, where the airport is. It took us FOUR hours. Almost all of us were on the bus, most people got their flights pushed back, but we couldn't because there is only one flight from Jakarta to Malang everyday, and it leaves at 1pm. So we get dropped off a little after noon, each of us have 2 luggage and 2 carryons, all weighing a ridiculous amount. We are trying to check in, struggling profusely to speak Indonesian to the guy at the counter. We all have to pay extra because for domestic flights there is a 24kilo limit per bag, and mine weigh at least 25 each. We finally got it figured out with the help of a super nice Air Sriwijaya employee and end up making our flight (it actually was delayed 40 minutes, freaking out for nothing haha).

When we got to Malang, my counterpart Bu Youni, two other teachers, Bu Elfi and Pak Tiks, and my headmaster, Bu Sri, picked me up and took me out to dinner. They are sooo nice! Then they took me to my house, my very own house! It is so nice and it is also big (anyone want to visit?). It has two bedrooms and a living room in the front. Then there is a door that opens to the back which is a large open space without a roof over it (it is pretty cool). Off of that there is another living room, a bathroom, and a small kitchen (those have doors and roofs, don't worry). There was no AC or western shower there, so I inquired about it (because it is a requirement in our contracts) and they were so nice about it! Within 24 hours I had a shower and an AC. I have yet to sleep at my house though (I have only been here two nights). My friend Jen lives like 15 minutes away so I have stayed there, we have both been a little nervous to sleep alone at night, plus it is easy to get homesick when you are by yourself. Last night we got super lost trying to take the public transport, Mikrolet, from my house to her house. We totally passed where we were supposed to get off by at least 20 minutes. We got home though :) Her counterpart freaked though and had her headmaster pick us up at her school haha, we were like 2 minutes away from Jen's house.

Yesterday I went to my school for the first time. It is called SMK Muhammadiyah 3. They introduced in front of all the students (I think there are about 500) after the morning announcements. They gave me flowers and then made me talk in front of EVERYONE (those of you who know me well know that I do not fair well with that, things like twitching normally occur--luckily none of that popped up this time).

Today was Indonesian Independence Day (Hari Kemerdekaan). 62 years. Bu Youni picked me up from Jen's on her motorbike, I think I need to get one--I love those things--and we went to school. They had a elaborate flag ceremony and then I helped give out prizes for games that they played the day before. I just hung around with the other teachers, ate rice for breakfast haha, and got to know some of the students. I keep meeting so many people I will never remember all of their names. I think my Indonesian is improving though, I am able to hold conversations with people and get my point accross and understand their points.

My friend Layne from OU taught in Malang last year and has left some helpful contacts for Jen and I. I think her friend Win is going to help us get set up with the internet tonight, so then I will be able to Skype, AIM, and keep up with this thing.
my address here is:

Jalan Perumahan Bumi
Mondoroko Sederhana
blok F3
Singosari
Indonesia

That is enough for now I think, hopefully I will be able to get some pics up soon!

No comments: